Sep 21, 2009

Discipleship: a wonderful journey. Pr. Antonio Nasser - Sep, 20th, 2009

Matthew 28:16-17 (GW)
16 The eleven disciples went to the mountain in Galilee where Jesus had told them to go.
17 When they saw him, they bowed down in worship, though some had doubts.
18 When Jesus came near, he spoke to them. He said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
19 So wherever you go, make disciples of all nations: Baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
20 Teach them to do everything I have commanded you. “And remember that I am always with you until the end of time.”

FACTS:
1.Eleven disciples went to meet Jesus in Galilee
2.They worshiped Him
3.Some doubted
4.Jesus came near to teach
5.He gave them the mission to be accomplished
6.He gave them the assurance of His presence forever

Disciple
Greek: mathētēs = a learner
Luke 6:40 (NKJV) 40 A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.

In the OT the “disciple” of the prophets were called “sons”:
2 Kings 2:3 (NKJV) 3 Now the sons of the prophets who were at Bethel came out to Elisha, and said to him, "Do you know that the Lord will take away your master from over you today?" And he said, "Yes, I know; keep silent!"
Son, in Hebrew is BEN. These 2 letters: B (house) and N (seed) is represented in ancient Hebrew as:


The disciple is much more than a student.
The disciple is the “continuation of the master’sministry”.
Jesus’ disciples must continue Jesus’ ministry!

--> How can we continue Jesus’ ministry?
--> How can we become effective Disciples?

Let's take a look at the text of Matthew 28:16-20
1) The Authority
18 When Jesus came near, he spoke to them. He said, “All authority in heaven and on earth
has been given to me.” (GW)
There is no discipleship without JESUS
John 15:5 (NIV) 5 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

2) The Commandment
19 So wherever you go, make disciples of all nations: Baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. (GW)
See that the Imperative in Greek is "make disciples" and not "Go".
So, wherever we go, we must MAKE DISCIPLES.

3) The Training

… make disciples of all nations:
§ Baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
§ Teach them to do everything I have commanded you

Baptize them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Greek – “eis to onoma” = into the name
>> The beginning of the Christian Life

Teach them to do everything I have commanded you
Greek: didaskō = To hold discourse with others in order to instruct them, deliver didactic discourses.
Hebrew: yārâ = To point the way one is to walk in life
>> The continuation of Christian Life

4) Jesus’ Discipleship Training - John 17

a) Jesus revealed the Father to them - v6
6 "I have revealed you to those whom you gave me out of the world.

b) Jesus gave them God’s Words - v8
8 For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them.

c) Jesus prayed for them - v9
9 I pray for them.

d) Jesus taught about UNITY - v11
11 … Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be one as we are one.

e) Jesus taught about Sanctification - v17
17 Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth.

f) Jesus sent them to the world - v18
18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.

Jesus’ Presence
"And remember that I am always with you until the end of the times".

Discussion Time
1. Are you a disciple (son) of Jesus Chrit? What are the consequences of being a disciple?
2. Are you making disciples? What should we teach them?

No comments:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner